The Rasika Ranjani Sabha, Mylapore
The Mylai Sangeetha Sabha (MSS), which was featured a few months ago in this magazine (see Sruti 260) was quite strict when it came to nagaswaram performances not being allowed in its premises, thanks to a peculiar prejudice that existed then against the nagaswara artists and also a belief that the instrument was meant to be performed only in the great outdoors.
A.K. Ramachandra Iyer, music lover, munificent patron and the owner of Midland Theatre who resided in North Mada Street, Mylapore, was a great lover of the nagaswaram. He decided to found a sabha that would patronise the instrument among other performances. Joining hands with M. Loganatha Mudaliar (industrialist) and K. Natesa Iyer (hosiery merchant) he founded the Rasika Ranjani Sabha in 1929. Strangely, the first few programmes were held at the same venue as the MSS, namely the Vanniyar Sangam Hall at the intersection of Nadu Street and Salai Street.