The Mylai Sangeeta Sabha
Unlike the kshetram-s that we have covered so far, this is a sthalam that exists only as a memory. Both the institution bearing the name and the venue where it conducted its performances are long gone.
Today the very word Sabha appears to be synonymous with Mylapore. But there was a time when Mylapore, despite its hoary past, was only a small village waiting to be absorbed into Madras city. The city itself meant George Town and its environs and it was here that all the musical entertainments were held as the patrons, the wealthy dubashes and merchants lived there. Then, in 1863, came the High Court and with it came a new breed of patrons, namely the native vakils many of whom came to the city from music rich Tanjavur. Initially, these vakils lived in George Town, but by the 1880s, Mylapore began to emerge as a residential area especially for the top ranking members of the legal profession. We have seen, in this series on sthalam-s, that the Madras Jubilee Gayan Samaja held a performance in 1888 at the residence of V. Bhashyam lyengar at Luz. However, the majority of music performances continued to be held at venues in north Madras at places such as the Tondaimandalam School, the Hindu Theological School, the Everest Lodge (Park Town), the Pachaiyappa's Hall (see Sruti 245), Hindu High School (Triplicane), Saundarya Mahal and the Kachaleeswarar Agraharam.
Click here to read more ...